Monday, October 24, 2011
DOM - DIRECTION OF MANAGEMENT
Long before it became the "in thing" on the net to make the D.O.M. public, my godsister told me about a day at the ashrama, when she stumbled upon something stuffed in a draw at the temple.
It was this 'Direction Of Management' written By Srila Prabhupada. She read it, was impressed by it, but often wondered why this was not being observed. After all, in the past, and she recalls this as clearly as myself, we never ignored an instruction from Prabhupada. Even made sure to follow it more-so when it was typed on letterhead with very specific instructions.
Further she wondered, why no one talks about it?
That was years ago, and I had actually published it on the web years ago. Due to geocities and yahoo messing up my sites, it went down. It's okay, that's over. Now I can re-post it here. :-)
And these days some do talk about it, although it's still kept brushed under the carpet by too many. Prabhupada did not want it hidden, as its an instruction clarifying the way he wanted all temples run, world wide. Thus, here it is, in Srila Prabhupada's own words:
DIRECTION OF MANAGEMENT (1970)
INTERNATIONAL SOCIETY FOR KRISHNA CONSCIOUSNESS, INCORPORATED
HIS DIVINE GRACE A.C. BHAKTIVEDANTA SWAMI PRABHUPADA
DIRECTION OF MANAGEMENT
I, the undersigned, A. C. Bhaktivedanta Swami, disciple of Om Visnupad Paramhansa 108 Sri Srimad Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati Gosvami Maharaj Prabhupada, came in the United States in 1965 on September 18th for the purpose of starting Krishna Consciousness Movement. For one year I had no shelter. I was travelling in many parts of this country. Then in 1966, July, I incorporated the Society under the name and style the International Society for Krishna Consciousness, briefly ISKCON. The lawyer was Mr. J. Goldsmith. Gradually the Society increased, and one after another branches were opened. Now we have got thirty-four (34) branches enlisted herewith:
* Amsterdam, Holland
* Atlanta, Georgia.........1476 Oxford Rd. N.E. 30322
* Baltimore, Maryland.........1300 N. Calvert St.
* Berkeley, California.........2710 Durant Avenue 94704
* Berlin, West Germany
* Boston, Massachusetts...... 40 N. Beacon St. 02134
* Boulder, Colorado.........623 Concord St.
* Buffalo, New York.........40 Englewood Ave. 14214
* Chicago, Illinois.........2210 N. Halstead St.
* Detroit, Michigan.........74 West Forest St. 48201
* Edinburgh, Scotland, U.K.
* Hamburg, West Germany......2000 Hamburg 6, Bartelstrasse 65
* Honolulu, Hawaii.........2016 McKinley St. 96822
* Laguna Beach, California......130 Woodland Drive 92651
* London, England.........7 Bury Place, Bloomsbury, W..C. 1
* Los Angeles, California......3764 Watseka Ave. 90034
* Montreal, Canada.........3720 Park Ave.
* New Vrndavana, W. Virginia...RD 3 Moundsville 26041
* New York City, New York...... 61 Second Ave. 10003
* Paris, France............c/o Serge Elbeze, BO 113 Paris 14
* Philadelphia, Pennsylvania......416 South 10th St. 19147
* Provincetown, Massachusetts...104 Bradford St.
* San Diego, California......3689 Park Blvd.
* San Francisco, California......618 Frederick St. 94117
* San Jose, California.........70 Hawthorne Way
* Santa Barbara, California ......6654 del Playa, Goleta 93017
* Seattle, Washington.........n5516 Roosevelt Way N.E. 98105
* St. Louis, Missouri.........4544 LaClede Ave. 63110
* Sydney, Australia.........298 Birrell St. Bondi, N.S.W. 2026
* Tokyo, Japan............6-16, 2 Chome Ohhashi, Meguro-Ku
* Toronto, Canada.........40 Beverly St., Ontario
* Vancouver, Canada.........260 Raymur St., No. 305, B.C.
* Washington, D.C..........2015 Q Street N.W. 20009
As we have increased our volume of activities, now I think a Governing Body Commission (hereinafter referred to as the GBC) should be established. I am getting old, 75 years old, therefore at any time I may be out of the scene, therefore I think it is necessary to give instruction to my disciples how they shall manage the whole institution. They are already managing individual centers represented by one president, one secretary and one treasurer, and in my opinion they are doing nice. But we want still more improvement in the standard of Temple management, propaganda for Krishna Consciousness, distribution of books and literatures, opening of new centers and educating devotees to the right standard.
Therefore, I have decided to adopt the following principles and I hope my beloved disciples will kindly accept them. There was a meeting in San Francisco during the Ratha Yatra festival 1970 and many presidents of the centers were present. In that meeting it was resolved that an ad hoc committee be set up to form the constitution which is taken into consideration. My duty was to first appoint twelve (12) persons to my free choice amongst my disciples and I do it now and their names are as follows:
1. Sriman Rupanuga Das Adhikary
2. Sriman Bhagavandas Adhikary
3. Sriman Syamsundar Das Adhikary
4. Sriman Satsvarupa Das Adhikary
5. Sriman Karandhar Das Adhikary
6. Sriman Hansadutta Das Adhikary
7. Sriman Tamala Krsna Das Adhikary
8. Sriman Sudama Das Adhikary
9. Sriman Bali Mardan Das Brahmacary
10. Sriman Jagadisa Das Adhikary
11. Sriman Hayagriva Das Adhikary
12. Sriman Krsnadas Adhikary
These personalities are now considered as my direct representatives. While I am living they will act as my zonal secretaries and after my demise they will be known as Executors.
I have already awarded Sannyas or the renounced order of life to some of my students and they have also got very important duties to perform in this connection. The Sannyasis will travel to our different centers for preaching purpose as well as enlightening the members of the center for spiritual advancement. The Sannyasis will suggest for opening new centers in suitable places and the GBC will take action on it.
As was stipulated by the ad hoc committee, the function of the GBC will be as follows with particulars:
PARTICULARS OF THE GOVERNING BODY COMMISSION
"The purpose of the Governing Body Commission is to act as the instrument for the execution of the Will of His Divine Grace. And further,
1. The GBC oversees all operations and management of ISKCON, as it receives direction from Srila Prabhupada and His Divine Grace has the final approval in all matters.
2. His Divine Grace will select the initial 12 members of the GBC. In the succeeding years the GBC will be elected by a vote of all Temple presidents who will vote for 8 from a ballot of all Temple presidents, which may also include any secretary who is in charge of a Temple. Those 8 with the greatest number of votes will be members for the next term of GBC. Srila Prabhupada will choose to retain four commissioners. In the event of Srila Prabhupada's absence, the retiring members will decide which four will remain.
3. The commissioners will serve for a period of 3 years, and they may be re-elected at the end of this period.
4. The chairman is elected by the GBC for each meeting. He has no veto power, but in even of a vote tie, his vote will decide. The same will apply for votes cast by mail between regular meetings.
5. Throughout the year, each of the commissioners will stay with His Divine Grace for one month at a time and keep the other commissioners informed of His Divine Grace's instructions.
6. The primary objective of the GBC is to organize the opening of new Temples and to maintain the established Temples.
7. Advice will be given by the GBC in cases of real property purchases, which will be in the name of ISKCON, INC. (Trucks or other vehicles will be purchased in the name of the local president).
8. Removal of a Temple president by the GBC requires support by the local Temple members.
9. The GBC has no jurisdiction in the publication of manuscripts, which will be handled by a separate committee; profits to be returned to Srila Prabhupada."
So far my books are concerned, I am setting up a different body of management known as the BHAKTIVEDANTA BOOK TRUST. The trustees of this body are also members of the GBC, but their function is not dependent on the GBC.
ISKCON Press was created for the exclusive publication of my books and literatures and should be continued in that way.
During my absence no one shall live in my apartment.
A. C. Bhaktivedanta Swami
Date July 28th 1970
(Robert F. Corens)
Rupanuga das Adhikary
(William R. Ehrlichman)
Bhagavan das Adhikary
(Kelly Gifford Smith)
Karandhar das Adhikary
Date July 28th, 1970
At the World Head Quarters
3764, Watseka Avenue
Los Angeles, California 90034
His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada
See original letter at: http://www.krishnaconsciousnessmovement.com/direction.html
[The DOM was so important that four years later Prabhupada wrote an “amendment," which is directly below. We should not forget all of this, as it appears Prabhupada did not want us to, and that it was the way he wanted the Movement run.]
[Typed On Original ISKCON letterhead, composed by Srila Prabhupada]
AMMENDMENT TO BE IMMEDIATELY ADDED TO ALL OFFICIAL REGISTRATION DOCUMENTS, CONSTITUTIONS, INCORPORATIONS, ETC.
1.) It is declared that His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupad is the Founder-Acarya of (ISKCON) International Society for Krishna Consciousness. His mission cannot be occupied by anyone else, and his name and title must appear on all documents, letterheads, publications, and buildings of the Society.
In particular it shall be clearly understood that no real estate may be purchased or sold by any officer of the Society without the express permission of His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedatna Swami Prabhupad, the founder-acarya of ISKCON.
2.) There shall be a Governing Board Committee of trustees appointed by the Founder-Acarya His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupad according to the document: Direction of Management dated July 28, 1970. The GBC is to act as the instrument for the execution of the will of His Divine Grace Srila Prabhupada.
Dated at New York, July 22, 1974
Approved: A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami (His signature)
Signed: Brahmananda Swami
GBC, Zonal Secretary
Balimardan das Goswami
GBC, Zonal Secretary