When there is peace for an extended period of time, oddly, people loose interest in God. Maybe not fully, but noticeably. Sense gratification starts to crawl higher up on the list of what is important. Businessmen and women try to up the corporate ladder more than usual. Too much self-absorption becomes the norm. What to do?
So fortunate are we, that Prabhupada came to the West to teach us that the above is not what God is like! Phew. :) God/Krishna does not have a psychical material form but a transcendental form. And it is blue, with long flowing hair, plays a flute, never ages, God always has fun, is blissful - and by the way, loves us! :) So, not the above fanaticism, but this:
But we are also speaking of a loss of the internet, for any reason. Tho war being most likely. Anyhow, there are lots of sites on what to do physically, but here we ask the question: what would you do spiritually?
Vedic scriptures reveal that war is the result of violence done unto others, meat eating [which is violent to the animal], illicit activities, and so on.
For those who have not fully gone vegetarian, here is a link to our free unique online cookbook to start. And here it is in pdf.
Next, what else would you do if there was a war or no internet to get some idea of how to live a Krishna Conscious lifestyle at home? Or online association?
This is one reason I promote at-home worship.
And at-home japa /chanting meditation.
But what more could be done to protect yourself and family?
Many will point out, learn how to hold peace and kindness in the heart. That it sends out electrical and other unknown forms of good vibrations. I agree. There is actually quite a bit of science behind this. Simultaneously, I do not see how anyone can hold on to that without a God connection. Mediation on His love, on His transcendental names, etc, are what keep us from getting down, it's what maintains us when ok or up, it even grants us bliss! Thus that higher vibration is Krishna, to be shared with the world, creating the best type of change.
Srila Prabhupada instructed all of his temples world-wide to go out on HariNama [chanting Krishna's Holy Names in every town and village]. And we did! A lot. :-)
Yet war is once again a threat, and every now and than, tries to reoccur. Why?
So here, Śukadeva Gosvāmī gives this example that na aśnataḥ pathyam eva annam. Suppose if you have got indigestion; you cannot digest food very nicely. So you have to eat such things which are easily digestible, or which may not cause acidity, flatulence, air.
Try to understand. Just like if you do not follow the program given by the physician for curing your disease, you cannot be cured. If you violate the rules given by the doctor, then how you can expect cure of your disease? Similarly, if you do not think wisely, like wise man, as they're prescribed in the Vedic knowledge, how you can stop the problems of life?
That is not possible. Simply by atonement there may be temporary suppression of something, but it will arise again. The same example can be given: The whole world is trying to stop war. But by some means like League of Nation, United Nation, but it is stopped for the time being, but again, after some years, there is huge war.
So Śukadeva Gosvāmī says that this material sinful life, we are acting in a way, we are forced to commit some sins, and you are suffering as a resultant action. This is going on. But if you want to stop this business—one suffering and one again becomes victim—then you have to become advanced in knowledge. Karmī-jñānī. Ordinary people, they are karmīs, or fruitive actors. Fruitive actors. They're working whole day and night, and getting some result, enjoying, again suffering, again there is problem.
This is going on. They are called karmīs. So this will not solve the question, problem. He suggests that you have to elevate yourself to the platform of knowledge. How it is done? That is prescribed herein. The first thing is tapasya. The first... Tapasya means you have to accept some austerity." ~ SP lecture on SB 06.01.11, date 710725, New York
I hope the above answers some readers question regarding "why" we have war.
Additionally, a natural question to arise is:
One does not have to be an initiated disciple, nor living in a temple to go out on Harinama. Can we be saved like the Pandava's? (See quote atop this page.) While we are clearly not on their level, yet we can still be saved / protected. Simply learn how to do Harinama, the right and super-easy way presented here, go for it! :) Be an activist - this is the best peace process ever!
John Lennon's, Give Peace a Chance, makes me think of this book: Excerpt: "In 1969 John Lennon invited Srila Prabhupada (the Founder-Acharya of the Hare Krishna Movement) and some of his disciples to live at his Tittenhurst Park Estate near London. Search for Liberation is based on a conversation where John Lennon, Yoko Ono and George Harrison ask Srila Prabhupada questions about liberation and spirituality. The Beatles questions and Prabhupada's answers create a fascinating book." Small inexpensive book. Besides, you're going to need some hard copy books if there is an emergency! And even when there isn't. :)
Another question may arise: "Do I have to give up so much? It says tapasya/austerity, but my life is hard and I don't want to add anymore austerities."
However, with that said, the following may be helpful as they include physical suggestions like growing your own food/medicine - plus more spiritual ideas I find highly imperative. Feel free to print out hard copies of these or any you find helpful - and save!
* Self-Sufficiency Camping: Ideas for camping can also be good for surviving if the electricity goes down - for any reason.
* Longevity: Can you do your own Dental work if there is no dentist around? Of course not all forms, but some? From simple eating to Hatha yoga [yes worrywarts, it's bonafide,ha], plus more. Check it out.
* How To Grow a Flower Clock: Do this and you will always have a good idea of the time even if there is not any electricity, led or other clocks are no longer available.
* Herb for Cancer: Grow this and read of other help for cancer. God-forbid anyone get this disease if there is a war and not know ahead of time of any alternative help.
* Depression - Not clinical but situational. And if there is a war, people are likely to feel depressed from that situation to some degree. Want to know little tips and tricks how to snap out of it? If you are not clinically depressed and its only due to a situation, this link should help. If you have clinical depressing, take your medication [be it natural or allopathic] and after that, this link should help. Of course, one has to truly desire it.
* A Fun Spiritual Place - Your Home! Make your house a blissful place for yourself and your family, any close "trustworthy" friends. This is crucial for spiritual life during a war or when the internet is not regularly working.
* George Harrison - Be Here Now :) - Hari's son, as Prabhupada named him, quickly lifts spirits or even helps keep them positive.
* Humor - Good grief, laugh a little. Devotees are so serious, which has it's place,but even Prabhupada told jokes! Lighten up. If it's not a habit now, imagine if the internet were to collapse. What a grouch! ha That too was a joke. :)
* Anyone Can Go To Krsna-Loka - That's right. Never think you can't! :)
* Christ and Krishna - the name says it all.
* Guru - How to pick your guru while the lights are on, and internet functioning. :)
* Is Lack of self-love really a predominant cause of illness? - During an emergency, the last thing you want is to get stuck on the mental platform and start self-blaming for sickness, problems, of that which is not! Pop psychology makes us think it is science when this is not a fact. Even, it changes all the time. The good part of this link? It also goes into detail about various forms of healing!
* Life and Music - Under stressful circumstances one tends to freeze up. What to do? Find out here.
* Energy Healing - learn Free: If there are no doctors nearby during a war or some other type of emergency, learning this can be a help!
In case I haven't said it enough - or a reader has not seen it: No one need join anything, you can practice on your own at home and feel the bliss! :)
-->Want to keep up with TIPS on how to practice Krishna Consciousness at home - or else just stay inspired? Subscribe. And share with friends: